[Xapian-discuss] Phrase Query vs AND Query? Why don't these find the same things?

jarrod roberson jarrod at vertigrated.com
Thu Jun 1 16:46:59 BST 2006

On 5/31/06, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 09:06:48PM -0400, jarrod roberson wrote:
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to search for here.  But
> generally a PHRASE query is better when the terms are only useful in
> a particular order, or when there are common false positives which
> includes all the terms but aren't relevant.
>
> A phrase query is slower than an AND, so that's a reason to favour AND
> if there's no other reason to pick one or the other.
>
> Cheers,
>     Olly

Thanks for the reply and the example code on how to use the inmemory
database

I think I figured out where SOME of the instability in the results is coming
from.
I am doing a enquire.get_mset(0,0).get_matches_estimated() to get how many
items I should really query for.
using enquire.get_mset(0,1).get_matches_estimated() seems to fix what used
to work with 0,0 ( I just upgraded to 0.9.5 a couple of weeks ago )
It seems that some queries work with this better than others, so . . .

I assume this is not the best way to do this, so I guess I need to know what
the best idiom to get back ALL matches to a query.

I know it is not common, but I will always be wanting all results back for
this particular project.