[Xapian-discuss] xapian-compact seg faulting & Re: [Xapian-discuss] Error msg xapian-compact: The revision being read has been discarded - you should call Xapian::Database::reopen() and retry the operation

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Jun 13 02:03:51 BST 2006

This is very odd.  Flint currently seems rock solid for everybody using
it apart from you where it seems very flaky.  If I could reproduce the
problem, I should be able to pin down what's wrong and fix it, but I
can't from the information you've provided so far.

For example, Gmane uses xapian-compact to merge 2 databases every night,
and even uses the -F option like you do.  For a full rebuild (which I
must have done at least 10 times) it merges one database per million
documents, so that's more than 30.  Tweakers.net use flint on a large
system and run xapian-compact frequently and they're very happy with
the stability.  I know of several other happy flint users (and there
are probably more I don't know of).

I don't understand what's the difference which is causing you these
problems.  I suspect if we can work that out this will be fairly easy to
resolve.

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 11:35:53AM -0800, oscaruser at programmer.net wrote:
> I think it may also be time to develop a tool to validate the integrity
> of a flint index.

If you can run copydatabase on a database, it's in good shape with the
possible exception of the postlist table.

If you want something more specific, quartzcheck is probably a good
starting point.  The flint and quartz formats still have quite a bit
in common.