[Xapian-discuss] Remote databases slower than local?

Rocco Caputo rcaputo at pobox.com
Tue Jun 27 19:06:12 BST 2006

Are there known cases where remote database access is 2-6 times
slower than local access to the same database?

I'm seeing cases where queries over Xapian::Remote can take several
times longer than identical queries run locally.  I'm making sure
that my queries are not cached.  I'm using the match set's fetch()
method, which has already sped up remote queries by an order of
magnitude.

Network speed doesn't seem to be the cause.  Cached remote queries
take only 1-2 seconds longer than cached local ones.

This is very puzzling.

Rocco Caputo - rcaputo at pobox.com