[Xapian-discuss] Problems with file descriptors

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Mon Mar 13 16:23:23 GMT 2006

James Aylett wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 01:47:25PM +0000, Gavin Ellis Mendel-Gleason wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?
>>

>Outside Xapian, if you're using apache you could make your web server
>child processes recycle faster using MaxRequestsPerChild. File handles
>should be released cleanly on process exit. (Dropping
>MaxRequestsPerChild does reduce your scalability, though - if someone
>can offer a 'correct' solution that deals with the Xapian issue, this
>is preferred.)

Some years ago, I added the apache specific php function
apache_child_terminate to php running under apache.

It has the affect of making the apache child process quit after serving
the current request and useful when the apache process has consumed
large resource (memory) that needs freeing.

It might be suitable here.

Sam