[Xapian-discuss] Problems with file descriptors

R. Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Mon Mar 13 17:17:15 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 16:36 +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 01:47:25PM +0000, Gavin Ellis Mendel-Gleason wrote:
> > I'm using
> >
> > $database = null;
> >
> > after every query, but this doesn't seem to help.
>
> Hmm, that's what I was about to suggest.

Somehow i wonder whether this is really a Xapian
problem at all. Gavin, are you shure that the database
handles leek FDs? Running out of file descriptors is a
classic problem for untuned servers on medium to high
traffic sites. What worker model do you use? Are your
Ulimits settings appropriate? Did you tune your kernel
filesystem parameters? Did you tune your TCP stack (the
old FIN_WAIT problem). My last encounter with the FD-
problem was a broken firewall that didn't close client
sockets - ugh!

Can you monitor what file handles stay open? Just grab
the PID of a server child process (_not_ the parent daemon)
and do: lsof -p <PID>
At the same time, check who has a handle on the DB:

 fuser -p /your/path/to/data/base/default/termlixt_baseA

 HTH Ralf Mattes