[Xapian-discuss] Python or PHP hangs when loading a cygwin Xapian module

Thomas Deniau thomas at deniau.org
Wed Mar 15 01:19:21 GMT 2006

Charlie Hull <charlie at juggler.net> a écrit :

> I then attempted to compile Xapian using -mno-cygwin so Xapian would
> also depend on MSVCRTxx.DLL but had no success.

Same problems happened here.

> I then compiled both Python and Xapian with Cygwin and everything worked.

That would of course work, but that was not what I was trying to achieve : in
the PHP case, a Cygwin PHP would require a Cygwin Apache and in fact a whole
Cygwin switch for all the products Apache/PHP depend on (MySQL, Java
toolkits...) (since we're likely to have the same conflict), and that would be
slow as molasses.

Moreover, you would have in fact switched all your tools to Unix
counterparts :
you might as well switch your whole OS to GNU/Linux. (and I suspect
that, in my
case, they keep using Windows because the webmaster hasn't got any real IT
skills, so he can't manage Unix tools ; a complete Cygwin toolchain on Windows
would be equally hard to manage).

I think we should just say that the Xapian bindings are not supported
on Cygwin,
since there's no point in using them.

--
Thomas Deniau