[Xapian-discuss] searching and sorting by date

Michel Pelletier michel at dialnetwork.com
Wed Mar 22 06:56:32 GMT 2006

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but we recently started
evaluating xapian and Xapwrap (python wrapper around it) for our project
and I've been quickly trying to soak up a lot of the docs and concepts,
so I hope I can explain my question clearly.

We have a use case where we must return the first 50 most recent
documents that match our query.  We don't want the first 50 matches to
the query that are then sorted by date.  I hope the distinction is clear
enough.  What we are unsure of from reading the documents is if setting
a sort value on our query (enq.set_sort_by_value()) will return the
first 50 documents that match the query, or the first 50 matches, then
sorted by that value.

I've read a couple of the theads on sorting dates but I was unclear
which approach would be needed to successfuly execute this kind of
query.  Any help from a kind xapian soul would be much apreciated!  We
love what xapian has been able to do for us so far, and hopefully there
is a fairly easy way to do this kind of search.

Thanks!

-Michel