[Xapian-discuss] Re: Xapian query language

Michel Pelletier michel at dialnetwork.com
Thu Mar 30 18:54:31 BST 2006

Michel Pelletier wrote:
> I was under the impression (from the docs) that Xapian stores four kinds
> of things with a document, positional terms (add_posting) non-positional
> terms (add_document) values (add_value) and data (set_data) and that the
> last, data, is the potentially expensive result (I quickly looked for
> that doc just not, but can't find it, grrr) so I'm a little confused.

Here's what I think I was looking at:

http://www.xapian.org/docs/apidoc/html/classXapian_1_1Document.html#767026a91f3a1421f3d23f7a170509d4

"""
Get data stored in the document.

This is a potentially expensive operation, and shouldn't normally be
used in a match decider functor. Put data for use by match deciders in a
value instead.
"""

So values are also poor performance?  I feel like maybe there is a
terminology confusion here or something, James Aylett mentioned recently
that a lot of things were renamed, so hopefully we're bumping up against
that and values really aren't poor performance, for my sake. ;)

-Michel