[Xapian-discuss] query expansion terms

durga bidaye doubtfire40008 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 20:01:54 BST 2006

hi
I have a few questions:
1. I wud like to know what exactly happens during query expansion,that is,
how are the relevent documents used while coming up with expansion terms.
Some explanation that is less mathematical than the one given in
"Introduction to IR" wud be preferred.  Given below is the syntax for query
expansion in c++. Can anyone give the corresponding syntax in php?

--------------

  Xapian::RSet reldocs;
        *for* (; optpos < argc; optpos++) {
            Xapian::docid rdid = atoi(argv[optpos]);
            *if* (rdid != 0) {
                reldocs.add_document(rdid);
            }
        }

---------------
 *if* (reldocs.empty()) {
            Xapian::MSetIterator i;
            *int* j;
            *for* (i = matches.begin(),
                 j = 0;
                 (i != matches.end()) && (j < 5);
                 ++i, ++j) {
                reldocs.add_document(*i);
            }
        }

        // Get the suggested expand terms
        Xapian::ESet eterms = enquire.get_eset(10, reldocs);

        // Display the expand terms
        cout << eterms.size() << " suggested additional terms" << endl;

        *for* (Xapian::ESetIterator k = eterms.begin();
             k != eterms.end();
             ++k) {
            cout << "Term `" << *k << "'\t " <<
                    "(weight " << k.get_weight() << ")" << endl;
        }

2. The syntax fr xapian bindings-php given in bindings.html seems to be
insufficient..Is there any way by which i can find out what is the
corresponding function in php for a given function in c++? I went thru
xapian_wrap.cc. I think thats where the wrapping has been done and hence
thats where i can find the syntax fr xapian bindings-php.Am I right?

3. What is the syntax for wildcard(*) search in xapian bindings-php?

Thanks.

Durga
doubtfire40008 at gmail.com