[Xapian-discuss] Re: Xapian query language

Michel Pelletier michel at dialnetwork.com
Fri Mar 31 06:19:08 BST 2006

richard at lemurconsulting.com wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 09:54:31AM -0800, Michel Pelletier wrote:
>

>>"""
>>Get data stored in the document.
>>
>>This is a potentially expensive operation, and shouldn't normally be
>>used in a match decider functor. Put data for use by match deciders in a
>>value instead.
>>"""
>>
>>So values are also poor performance?  I feel like maybe there is a
>>terminology confusion here or something, James Aylett mentioned recently
>>that a lot of things were renamed, so hopefully we're bumping up against
>>that and values really aren't poor performance, for my sake. ;)
>>

>I don't think there is a terminology problem here, but don't panic!
>
>The intention is that values are for holding auxiliary data for use during the
>match process, and that the document data is used for holding data for use
>after the match process.

Aha, that's an important bit that I missed. ;)  Thank you, your
excellent information has given me great insight, and I've already
changed my code to use your technique and have noticed a serious
increase in speed for some of my queries and only a slight decrease for
others, so I'm quite happy.   I'm slowly maturing this thing, and I
think in a couple of weeks I might have something presentable and also
doesn't depend on xapwrap anymore (I'm slowly phasing it out with my own
functions).

-Michel