[Xapian-discuss] Xapian documentation

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon May 8 15:19:50 BST 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 03:19:00PM +0200, Jean-Francois Dockes wrote:

> This kind of document is certainly something that I would have liked to
> have had when starting with Xapian.

Yes, in retrospect it's something I should have written back in 2001
when I had a lot more time :-)

> Did you consider DocBook SGML as a document format ?

Not really. It's SGML, which is all pointy and nasty. Unless there's a
good free document editor for it, of course?

> It has many users and usages and a lot of support behind it.

My understanding is that it can't do indexing terribly well, which was
one of the main reasons halibut is a full document processor rather
than just a wrapper. This was a while back, so it's probably come on
since then. Having had a quick look at the manual, its syntax is
horrific, so we'd need a good editor we could recommend to people.