[Xapian-discuss] Windows/MSVC build files

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu May 11 15:59:11 BST 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 03:41:45PM +0100, Charlie Hull wrote:

> I've now finished tidying up the files originally created by Ulrik
> Petersen for Xapian 0.9.5. These files will allow you to build Xapian
> using Visual C++ version 7 or above on a Windows system.

That's excellent!

> This isn't a complete solution (for example, currently only the Python
> bindings are supported) and it doesn't use the Unix build tools, so it's
> best considered as a solution only for those who really need to use
> Visual C - for example, if you want to use the binary Windows
> distributions of Python.

A thought: for people *really* using Microsoft tools these days, a
fair number are likely to be using .Net; if we provided a Managed C++
wrapper round Xapian, I believe it could be exported to *all* WSH
languages, or at least all .Net collaborating languages (which
includes Python, VC/C++, C#, JScript and VBScript, as well as lots and
lots of others).

I was recommended a while ago that that was probably the best way of
making Xapian available to C#, certainly. However I'm not 100% certain
that bits of the Xapian API aren't going to cause problems in MC++ - if
people think this is worthwhile, I'll see if Neil can have a look over
the interface and make some recommendations.