[Xapian-discuss] quick-and-dirty web search for a bunch of PDFs?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue May 16 09:31:18 BST 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 05:16:55PM +1000, John Pye wrote:
> I'm a newbie with Xapian. I have just a simple goal of creating a
> quick-and-dirty web-based fulltext search for a bunch of PDF files that
> I've collected from various conference CDs.
>
> Is this a use-case that Omega covers, or do I need to use Xapian
> directly?

Omega's "omindex" indexer will index PDF files out of the box (just make
sure you have pdftotext installed.)

> Where can I find some documentation about the capabilities of
> Omega?

In the docs subdirectory of the omega sources!  They get installed in
/usr/local/share/doc/omega by default, or probably something like
/usr/share/doc/xapian-omega if you installed from a package.