[Xapian-discuss] 64-bit Debian GNU/Linux supported?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed May 31 23:50:04 BST 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 02:31:23PM -0800, oscaruser at programmer.net wrote:
> Wanted to find out if Xapian (with flint) has been ported to 64-bit
> Debian GNU/Linux or other Linux system?

Xapian works on 64-bit systems (I find the idea that you need to "port"
code to 64-bit systems a bit odd...)

My current dev box is x86_64 linux.

> If so, any performance improvements observed?

I've not actually done any benchmarking.  Large search systems will tend
to be I/O bound, so having a wider bus is good, but a 64 bit chip
running in 32 bit mode might be as fast as in 64 bit mode (assuming
the memory accesses work the same way).  I don't think it's obvious
without testing which will do better anyway.

If you do some benchmarks, I'd be interested to hear how they compare.