[Xapian-discuss] Is there a secondary sorting possible for relevance-sorts?

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Mon Nov 13 13:08:19 GMT 2006

Hi list,

When doing a default relevance-based sorting of the search results in a
xapian+omega combination, it appears in our results that for similar
relevances the older records are shown first and then the newer ones...
For a forum this probably isn't the best behaviour, newer discussions
are at least kept with more up-to-date insight on the matter at hand. So
if an old and a new discussion have the same relevance, the newer should
be preferred.

The sort-bands functionality in omega could probably have done this, but
that doesn't exist (anymore? or had it never really?).

Is my assumption about the "secondary" ordering correct? And is there an
option to get the desired behaviour with Omega?

In a sql-like environment I'd use something like:
ORDER BY relevance DESC, updatetime DESC (highest relevance first, when
same relevance, newest item first).

Best regards,

Arjen