[Xapian-discuss] xapian performance

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Tue Nov 14 07:33:39 GMT 2006

On 14-11-2006 3:34 Olly Betts wrote:
> There's also still plenty of scope for improving code to speed up
> indexing, and some scope for faster searching too.  I know some places
> where better algorithms can be used, but I suspect there are bottlenecks
> in unobvious places too.  Profiling to identify these places would be
> a useful activity.

How hard would that be? I.e. what tools would we need to supply good
profiling samples? I think we could compile a profiling-enabled
xapian-library/omega-binary on our production-machine to generate some
codeprofiles. Or we could copy the database to a less beafy machine, but
that would probably skew the results towards more I/O-based than it (in
our environment) really is.

Best regards,

Arjen