[Xapian-discuss] xapian performance

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Thu Nov 16 21:26:58 GMT 2006

On 16-11-2006 17:12 Olly Betts wrote:
> If anyone else has a large database with positional information, please
> give this patch a whirl.  I'd be slightly cautious about using it live
> in a production system - correctness shouldn't be an issue, but there
> could be performance regressions for some cases still.

I took some slow searches from our logs and threw them in as search with
default operator OR and no boolean filters.

The "long query searches" seem to have improved indeed. On my slow
test-system they went from 24 -> 16, 13 -> 10 seconds and more like that
when doing a few runs. The queries with a small phrase or
phrase-made-pair don't improve at all, but aren't worse either, all less
than a percent difference when glancing over them quickly.

If you'd like a look at the results, let me know. And of course, if
you'd like me to try other patches and/or use AND as default operator,
please, also let me know.

Best regards,

Arjen