[Xapian-discuss] building php bindings

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Nov 17 18:35:01 GMT 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 05:53:28PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 10:20:59AM -0700, dennis wrote:
>
> > I built xapian, and am trying to build php bindings for it and failing.
> >
> > checking for PHP extension directory... '/usr/local/bin/php-config
> > --extension-dir' reports
> > '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20050922' but that
> > directory doesn't exist!
> >
> > Looking at this, it doesn't seem like a xapian thing at all, but a weird
> > php thing. Does anyone know why php-config would give a weird directory
> > for extension-dir? I'm not familiar with php-config.
>
> That's a sensible (in PHP's eyes) extension-dir

Indeed - what we do is to ask PHP where we need to install PHP
extensions for it to recognise them.  You can override this (see the
xapian-binding's INSTALL file section "Installing without root access")
but if you do it's less convenient to load the Xapian module from PHP.

> try just creating that directory.

Yes, that should work.

I added a sanity test on the values php-config returns in 0.9.9.  One of
the boxes the tinderbox test builds on has php-config but is missing the
PHP headers, and it's easy to catch this.  While I was at it, I also
added a check that the extension-dir existed, but I hadn't considered
that the extension-dir might not have been created yet.  I'll remove the
second check.