[Xapian-discuss] xapian performance

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Nov 21 11:45:34 GMT 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 07:49:45AM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
> So I think we're going to have to bump the format version of flint
> databases before 1.0.  I'll have a quick look at how feasible it is
> to update a database.

OK, this is a little bit fiddly I'm afraid...

You need to apply this patch to a copy of the xapian-core 0.9.9 sources
and then build them:

http://www.oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/patches/xapian-flint-updater.patch

Then the "xapian-compact" built in the "bin" subdirectory will actually
be a program to update flint databases from the "wrong" encoding to
the "right" one.

NB: this program modifies the database it works on, and I've only tested
it on one example, so make a copy to work on!

You need 0.9.9 with the 2 other patches from this thread applied to search
the updated database (it has a new flint revision).  Then you'll be able
to compare timings of 0.9.9 (possibly plus earlier patches) against the
original database compared to the fully patched 0.9.9 against the
updated one!