[Xapian-discuss] xapian performance

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Nov 23 00:02:58 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 12:45:27PM -0200, Fernando Nemec wrote:

> > I'm not sure I understand the difference between "first try" and "first
> > run" here?
>
> I meant for the first time I search for an expression.

I still don't know what you meant, but it's probably not important.

> > There have been a couple of other reports of similar very slow search
> > times from cold in some cases, and I'm starting to wonder if there's a
> > bug which is causing us to read a lot more data than we need to or
> > something like that.  Let me take a look.
>
> Actually this search in gmane took 11.5 secs:
> [...]

Note that gmane doesn't currently index positional information, so these
"phrase searches" are actually done as AND queries, so this isn't
directly comparable.

Incidentally, these are fairly exceptional and atypical examples - while
it's possible to come up with slow searches if you go looking for them,
most searches users actually do aren't this slow:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/9279