[Xapian-discuss] xapian performance

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Thu Nov 23 09:58:08 GMT 2006

On 21-11-2006 12:45 Olly Betts wrote:
> You need 0.9.9 with the 2 other patches from this thread applied to search
> the updated database (it has a new flint revision).  Then you'll be able
> to compare timings of 0.9.9 (possibly plus earlier patches) against the
> original database compared to the fully patched 0.9.9 against the
> updated one!

Ok, I've attached two text files. I took a list of queries to counter
caching playing a part in the results. These results didn't change much
over time in either case so it really should be the patches doing their
jobs.

The first file (no-patch) contains the results (the 3rd in three runs)
with no patches at all. And the second the results of all the patches
from this thread and the converted database.
I see no cases of slower queries, and some are even 30-40% faster.

Note that the timings are seconds and include omega's (neglicable)
start-up time, so there are queries that take 3+ minutes on my "normal
desktop hardware"-test machine (2GB of memory and a single disk). On the
production server (8GB, 5+1-disk raid5) these were also some of the
slower queries, taking 5-20 or more seconds.

If you're interested I can also execute the same queries with your
display-blocks-read patch, but that'll have to wait untill next week.

Best regards,

Arjen