[Xapian-discuss] Compiling PHP bindings with MingW/Windows

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Nov 24 23:39:44 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 09:52:15PM +0100, Any One wrote:
> I've been trying for quite some while to get Xapian running on my Windows
> (2000) machine. I succesfully compiled Omega and Xapian-Core by using:
>
> - MingW
> - MSYS

You're not the first to try building Xapian's PHP bindings using mingw:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/3276V

But I don't know of anyone who has yet managed it I'm afraid.

Although I don't really understand why, it seems using a pre-built
version of PHP with mingw doesn't work.  I assume it's some C++ related
issue, perhaps static initialisers.

And PHP itself seems to have a number of MSVC-specific assumptions in
the source code (at least in PHP5), so rebuilding it with mingw isn't
easy.

Using MSVC should work (though I don't think anyone has reported success
here).  You can download a version of MSVC for free, but obvious it's
only "free" as in "beer" not "speech", and I believe the licence puts
restrictions on use of the compiled code and has some other obnoxious
clauses.

Sorry not to have better news.  If you make any progress, do let us
know!