[Xapian-discuss] Re: Problems with mailinglist?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Nov 29 01:55:44 GMT 2006

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 07:12:53AM +0100, Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
> Is anything wrong with the mailinglist?

The problem is that the server hosting the lists (which also hosts
survex.com mail) has been suffering a massive spambot attack since some
time before 5am UTC on Saturday.

All the incoming SMTP slots are pretty much permanently full so real
mail is struggling to get through.  James has tuned the exim
configuration which has helped quite a bit, but mail is still being
delayed.  We're working on improving the situation in case the barrage
continues.

Once a mail does get in, outgoing mail is unaffected so the mailing list
should send it out fine.

Incoming mail shouldn't disappear without trace, so unless you actually
get a bounce please don't try resending or we'll be swimming in
duplicates once this gets fully resolved!  And please don't mail us
directly with mail which is more appropriate for the list (it won't help
anyway as James and my mail are both suffering the same problems...)