[Xapian-discuss] xapian performance

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Mon Nov 27 20:19:39 GMT 2006

On 23-11-2006 0:31 Olly Betts wrote:
> It would be interesting to try measuring just how many blocks we
> actually read - this will be a repeatable measure, whereas timings
> from cold disk cache are much harder to exactly repeat.  Try applying
> this patch:
>
> http://www.oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/patches/flint-count-read-blocks.patch
>
> This reports the number of blocks read from each table of each flint
> database to stderr (the report happens whenever a database is closed).

Another message I sent and I don't see in the list :(

But I don't see any reports coming to my console when using omega??

I was going to try and see if the debug logging would show me whether
databases were actually closed, but that took so long, I didn't feel
like waiting for more than half an hour for a query that - without
logging - would only take 0.1 second... Nor was I able to figure out how
to limit the logging to something much less verbose.

Arjen