[Xapian-discuss] PHP bindings

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Oct 3 12:30:57 BST 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 06:48:27PM +0100, Francis Irving wrote:
> So, for example, I'm suggesting:
>     $database = new xapian_Database("mydb");
> Which obviously adds fewer extra prefixes when using the object
> oriented interface that you suggest, as you only need it for the
> object construction functions.

With the flat functions, this shouldn't be too much of an issue because
every method is prefixed with the class name already.  So I've shied
away from doing this as I think it would decrease usability without
much actual improvement in namespace cleanliness.

The PHP5 wrappers already have a "Xapian" prefix on the classnames.  If
we go for OO PHP4 wrappers, I'd do the same there too.

> Upgrading Xapian version is already daunting due to database changes

Incidentally, there haven't been any incompatible changes in the flint
format since 0.9.2.

> would really want two version of Xapian installed at once on our
> server, but I'm not confident how to do that with all their bindings.

It should just work if they are installed in different prefixes -
libtool takes care of setting rpath suitably.

> So I'm waiting before upgrading Xapian, until at least Flint is
> completely stable (is it yet?), as we may as well migrate to that at
> the same time.

I'm currently planning to freeze flint as it is now for 1.0 (since it
seems to be at least as stable as quartz, plus faster and smaller).
The next big change will probably be merging in my new Btree manager
which is potentially destabilising.