[Xapian-discuss] binding JAVA, rushing!

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Apr 4 13:03:47 BST 2007

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 12:52:38PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 06:05:54AM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > > JAVA_CPPFLAGS='-I/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/....'
> >
> > You don't want to backslash-escape the space if you use single (or
> > double) quotes:
> >
> > $ JAVA_CPPFLAGS='-I/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/....'
> > $ echo $JAVA_CPPFLAGS
> > -I/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/....
> > $ JAVA_CPPFLAGS="-I/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/...."
> > $ echo $JAVA_CPPFLAGS
> > -I/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/....
>
> I precisely wanted the backslash in there, because variable usage
> inside configure isn't enquoted, so it's a hack to get the quoting of
> the space through... which proably wouldn't work, of course.

Oh, I see.

JAVA_CPPFLAGS isn't actually used in configure, only set (and then
substituted, but that code should use space-safe escaping).  So it's
down to usage in the Makefile if you set JAVA_CPPFLAGS by hand like
that.

So that might work, but there are likely to be other issues with
using paths with spaces, so it's simpler and more robust just to
side-step the quagmire and mount the directory under a space-free
path.