[Xapian-discuss] A perhaps obvious speed tip

Philip Neustrom philipn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 03:13:44 BST 2007

Hey folks,

So, this is probably obvious to some of you, but it wasn't obvious to me:

Put a bunch of adds() and removes() in a begin_transaction() and
commit_transaction() block and you'll drastically (!) increase the
speed at which you can add your documents into your database.

It wasn't clear to be that Xapian had transactions of the sort, and I
believe I tried using them in an older version and they didn't work.
It seems they don't work in >= 0.9.9 but not in 0.9.6, at least when I
tried using them from the python bindings.

Transactions rock!

--Philip Neustrom