[Xapian-discuss] Seek help with simple writer/search using Perl

Jeff Anderson captvanhalen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 21:57:21 BST 2007

On 4/9/07, Ralf Mattes <rm at seid-online.de> wrote:
> I think you want to add your terms as postings and not as data - at
> least iff you want to search for them later on ...
>
>       $doc->add_posting( $data, 1);

Great ... how can i then get back those terms when i display the
search results? I need to store such things as a title, ISBN, and a
short description. I would like to be able to get these keys back to
show to the user, but i cannot figure this one out. The docs aren't
very helpful, all they do is discuss method calls and what arguments
are expected. They don't discuss things such as why one would use the
method, or how to use the methods together to do very simple storage
and retrieval.

As i stated earlier,  i have been able to build an search indexer and
searcher using Plucene with good success. The problem with it is that
it tends to DIE when it can't get a file lock, which is terrible
because our users will recieve IS 500 errors. Xapian looks to be a
better solution, but so far the documentation is confusing and
disjointed. At least Lucene was intuitive and provided docs that
explained how and WHY to use the API, not just how to call methods.

Anyways, thanks for your help. I'm just trying to figure out where to
start reading. It would be nice if there was a page that discussed the
terminology used by Xapian. What is a term? What is a position? What
is a posting? Etc.

--
jeffa