[Xapian-discuss] Seek help with simple writer/search using Perl

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Apr 10 13:21:16 BST 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 04:34:17PM -0400, Jeff Anderson wrote:

> Actually ... if there is some piece of documentation out there that
> exlains why one should use data,  postings, or terms ... that would be
> great guys. I'm not looking for someone to do my work for me, i have
> just found the documents for this tool to be very lacking and am
> simply seeking some direction.

The best we have at the moment is the quickstart guide. The main
problem is that it assumes you want to build things in C++, and so
spends quite a lot of time doing things that are unnecessary or easier
in other languages. Nonetheless I would strongly recommend reading it
to get an understanding of documents, postings, document data and
queries. (Values are less commonly used, and so I believe are not
covered.)

 <http://www.xapian.org/docs/quickstart.html>