[Xapian-discuss] Reasonable Time Expectation for Long Queries?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Apr 12 10:10:40 BST 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 12:33:14PM +0900, Josef Novak wrote:
>  It looks like, after reading the db documentation, that perhaps my first
> move should be to reindex everything in a flint db, as the documentation
> says that this will be 'appreciably faster'.

It's unlikely to make building Query objects faster though as they don't
touch the database.

> My current query code, taken
> from one of the examples, looks like:
> Xapian::Query query(Xapian::Query::OP_OR, &string_tokens[0],
> &string_tokens[string_tokens.size()]);
>
> Is there anything else I can do to optimize these simple OP_OR queries?  Are
> there any other suggestions for optimization, or pointers to places in the
> lists where this has been discussed, with fruitful results?

It sounds like the same issue as this, except that was building the
query up pairwise, and using the "in one go" constructor was the
workaround in that case:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/3974

I thought I'd worked on a fix for that, but I don't seem to have checked
anything in.  I probably unpatched it to work on something else - I'll
dig it out.

Do you have a self-contained (except for Xapian!) small program which
shows this?  Failing that, some example lists of terms which build into
slow queries?