[Xapian-discuss] New to Xapian (coming from Lucene)

Jeff Anderson captvanhalen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:18:39 BST 2007

Hello all. As the subject says, i am new to Xapian and would like to replace
Lucene with it (so far). The main reason, in case you are curious, is
because we are using this with Perl, and are unhappy with Plucene's handling
of file locking.

As i continue to read through vairous Xapian docs and code examples, i have
noticed that Xapian appears to want positional parameters to store values
into a document. For example, we are indexing book information, such as
TITLE, ISBN, AUTHORS, etc. With Lucene, one can add these attributes to a
document by specifying arbitrary key names:

doc->add_value('TITLE', 'How To Add Searching To Your Site')

However, XAPIAN appears to only accept numbers, and not keys that could be
used to retrieve a value.

doc->add_value(42, 'So Long And Thanks For All The Fish')

Is this really the case? If so, that is fine, we can always define constants
in our code.

But how do now search for, say ISBN numbers?

Thank you in advance for any answers, suggetsions, and insight.

--
jeffa