[Xapian-discuss] Flint Database 'Can't acquire write lock'?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Apr 23 04:07:19 BST 2007

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 10:12:24PM +0900, Josef Novak wrote:
> The perl one liner you included in the previous e-mail worked as you
> predicted, so it seems that locking does work. I will try to figure
> out how to configure the mechanism (assuming this is what I need to
> do!).

If Perl's flock() works, then it sounds like locking probably is
configured and working.

Perl's flock function may internally call the C flock() function, or
may use lockf() or fcntl() - strace on my Linux box shows it uses
flock() for me.  This might make a difference - the man page suggests
flock() doesn't work on NFS, but perhaps that's out of date.  Sadly
the NFS shares I have to hand are currently refusing to mount for
some reason so I can't check.

Anyway, rather than speculating, can you try this patch which should
give us more idea why flint is failing to lock:

http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/patches/flint-lock-reason-0.9.10.patch

Alternatively, the same changes are in SVN HEAD.