[Xapian-discuss] Random results for the same query

Steije van Schelt steije.vanschelt at pine.nl
Mon Aug 13 15:05:03 BST 2007

Charlie Hull wrote:

> I think the key word here is 'about' as in 'about 562 results'. AFAIK
> to save time an exact number of results isn't calculated, so it's not
> surprising that you're getting different numbers each time.

I agree my choice of words was a bit funny...

But still, fact remains that this hasn't occured before, even with the
same query on the database.

I can't explain the fact that Xapian randomly gives correct or incorrect
 counters for the resultset for a single P query. The only thing that
has changed is that I've added documents to the index and changed
documents already in the index.

My guess is that something became corrupt in the index, has anybody
experienced the same behaviour?

Thanks in advance,

Steije van Schelt