[Xapian-discuss] Random results for the same query

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Aug 13 17:33:59 BST 2007

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 08:44:18AM -0700, Alexander Lind wrote:

> It sounds just like Charlie said, that its just the approximation (which
> my xapian apps give as well).

It is. There are lots of savings that can be made by not calculating
this exactly (basically, it means we can stop work when we've found
enough documents - if you want an exact number, we have to find all of
them).

> Why don't you try setting the minimum-documents-to-be-detected (I can't
> remember whats its called in omega) to 1000. Then xapian will count
> exactly how many results you get, as long as the total is under 1000.

Then turn it off again as soon as your volume starts to scale, or you
might run into speed issues :-)