[Xapian-discuss] license issue

Alexander Lind malte at webstay.org
Mon Aug 20 23:05:21 BST 2007

Hello SWIG developers

I am a long time user of a certain GPL:ed search engine called Xapian [
http://www.xapian.org ].
Xapian is written in C++, but the makers have been providing bindings
for other languages for a long time, most of them generated with SWIG.

I use the PHP binding, which has worked great so far, but there is some
dark clouds on the horizon - licensing clouds.

Apparently the PHP license does not play nice with the standard GPL
license, and this means that Xapian must stop making and distributing
the swig PHP bindings unless one of the following fixes can be made:

1. Either PHP or Xapian must change their licenses to be compatible with
the other. Neither is possible I have been told (due to 3rd party
involvement in Xapians case).

2. One person who was involved with making the swig / xapian
php-bindings once, wrote me this, and I quote:
/"It may be worth bringing this problem up on the swig mailing list, as
they are in the best position to solve this generally, perhaps even
quickly. It may just require a change of compilation pattern; for many
swig targets (I recall) uses a libswig.* If the libswig-php or
libswig-perl had the run-time derived code and was BSD licensed (or
something very free) for the binary, then that's the problem solved, and
it would make swig more "useful" although whether that is more desirable
than pressuring php to change their license I will leave for others to
advocate."
/
So my question is, is this feasible?  Is it indeed a quick fix?  Would
you consider implementing it?

It is my understanding that any standard GPL:ed software would have the
same problem with PHP, so perhaps making this 'fix' would legalize many
other existing and future swig / php applications as well?

Thanks for your time
Alec