[Xapian-discuss] Flax prerelease - search engine based on Xapian and Python

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Fri Dec 7 17:39:55 GMT 2007

We (Lemur Consulting) thought members of this list might be interested
in "Flax": the open source enterprise search engine we've been building,
based on Xapian and Python.  We've just released a pre-release version
of it: the announcement of this pre-release follows.

(There's a flax announcements mailing list at
http://groups.google.com/group/flax-announce - I'll post future
announcements there to avoid pulling this list off-topic.)

--

We're very happy to announce that a pre-release version of our free,
open source enterprise search system is now available from

Flax Basic is a simple packaged version of our Flax search suite,
suitable for building searchable indexes of various common types of
files on a Windows system (it will also work to some degree on Linux and
Macs but you'll have to download the source code and do some configuration).

Flax is based on Xapian and Python and includes features such as
indexing of Microsoft Office, PDF and HTML files, automatic spelling
correction and a web-based administration system.

We're hoping to launch Flax Basic "officially" early in the New Year,
but we're letting a small number of people know about it now in the hope
that we'll get some feedback - so *please* let us know what you think!

You can email us at info at lemurconsulting.com - if you encounter a
problem please let us know:

1. the type of computer, available memory and version of Windows you're
using (Control Panel, System provides some useful information)
2. what you were trying to do at the time
3. the details of what problem you encountered
4. the contents of any files in the Flax log folder (this is usually
C:\Program Files\Flax Basic\logs)
5. the version of Flax Basic you're using (see the About page in the
Flax administration interface)

--
Richard