[Xapian-discuss] Xapian or Clucene for mobile device

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Dec 8 18:07:42 GMT 2007

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 04:40:27PM +0800, Sun Jianhong-a18232 wrote:
> For mobile device, we do care about RAM comsuption, search and index
> performance, library size, etc. Can Xapian be easy to tailor for mobile
> device?

To reduce code size, you can disable the backends you don't want, and
compile to favour small code size without debugging symbols - something
like:

./configure --disable-backend-inmemory --disable-backend-quartz --disable-backend-remote CXXFLAGS=-Os

That's assuming you don't want the inmemory or remote backends.  You
will only want quartz if you're migrating a system from Xapian < 1.0.

We've not assumed huge memory or fast processors - generally techniques
which scale well will work well for smaller collections on small
machines as well as big collections on bigger machines.

I've not done testing on small devices myself, but the OLPC
(http://laptop.org/) uses Xapian to search its datastore, and has
a fairly modest hardware spec.

Feedback on use on smaller devices is certainly welcome.