[Xapian-discuss] minor problem

Michael A. Lewis MAL at ICGINC.COM
Sun Dec 23 19:38:14 GMT 2007

I am running some custom index code. I have a process that all other processes communicate with to insert documents (and other update functions such as delete, but for right now just inserts). I index and hand it over to termGenerator and all the other stuff to add a document. This works. However, it runs really slow (a document every several seconds or so, input document size about 2k-40k). When I do a "ps -ef" command from the command line I see a task belonging to my daemon that shows the command being run as "/bin/cat". Looking in the xapian source code I have found that to be in the flint backend locking code.

Since I am serializing my updates (one after another) and only from a single process, why am I seeing what appears to be long-term locks?

This index code ran very fast in pre-1.0 versions of the indexer. I upgraded to 1.0.0, then 1.0.1, etc. But I didn't need to index until recently.

There are currently only 10,000 documents in the database.

Thanks,

-Michael Lewis