[Xapian-discuss] minor problem

Michael A. Lewis MAL at ICGINC.COM
Sun Dec 23 21:28:08 GMT 2007

Sorry, uname displays:

Linux xelent.net 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 #1 SMP Mon Oct 16 14:39:22 EDT 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

________________________________

From: xapian-discuss-bounces at lists.xapian.org on behalf of James Aylett
Sent: Sun 12/23/2007 4:27 PM
To: xapian-discuss at lists.xapian.org
Subject: Re: [Xapian-discuss] minor problem

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 02:38:14PM -0500, Michael A. Lewis wrote:

[flint indexing processing apparently blocking on /bin/cat]
> Since I am serializing my updates (one after another) and only from
> a single process, why am I seeing what appears to be long-term
> locks?

Which OS? We had problems on Mac OS X which I don't remember ever
actually getting to the bottom of, that involved its sitting on
/bin/cat. (I noticed it while running the test suite.)

IIRM that was using the remotetcp backend, with flint behind it; the
tests were failing to get the remote backend up into listening state,
because the locking was getting stuck. AFAIK we haven't seen the same
thing on other operating systems (Mac OS X still fails these tests in
HEAD for me, and there has been discussion of writing our own /bin/cat
replacement in an effort, amongst other things, to fix this).