[Xapian-discuss] Anyone else getting s *p*a*m from the list?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Feb 9 04:00:30 GMT 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 04:36:16PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 09:03:12AM -0500, Jim wrote:
>
> > Do you have to subscribe to send to the list?  If not, perhaps that
> > would be a good idea.
>
> Perhaps. If the volume doesn't rise, I'd be inclined to keep it open -
> it's much less hassle for people looking for help.

The volume's being slowing rising for some time now...

While I realise it's useful to allow non-members to post, when the
mailing list forwards spam to the members, we become part of the spam
problem ourselves.

Also, if a list member's own spam filtering rejects spam by bouncing it,
mailman could decide that their address has stopped working and
automatically unsubscribe them.

I think we should probably try setting the lists to subscriber posting
only and see how much work approving postings actually is.