[Xapian-discuss] Benchmark (index, search) on 20 million docs Xapian/Linux vs. Lucene/Windows

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Feb 13 09:57:32 GMT 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 08:51:24AM +0100, Reini Urban wrote:
> Kevin Duraj schrieb:
> >Result: Xapian/Linux showed to be 35% faster
> >then Lucene/Windows on searching.
>
> That's the typical Windows overhead for finding and opening files on
> windows compared to linux.

While I can see indexing may involve opening a lot of files, searching a
database opens relatively few.  It's about 11 for Xapian.  I don't know
how many it would be for Lucene, but it seems unlikely it's many more,
so you'd need a really large overhead per file find/open to incur a 35%
overhead over the total time taken to search a database of this size.

> ReiserFS or anything faster than ext3 would do a bit better.

Do you have any benchmark results to support choosing reiserfs for this
use?