[Xapian-discuss] Feature requests

Bill Crawford bill.crawford at wcn.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 09:47:42 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 20 Feb 2007, Olly Betts wrote:

> > * The second thing is also something that would be easy to build into
> > the client-software, but might be also a proper feature for xapian:
> > Indexed terms can have positional informations. It would be handy to
> > regain the information on which (positional indexed) terms a hit
> > occured within the result, e.g. to generate previews that actually
> > contain the requested tokens.
>
> A "dynamic sample" feature would certainly be useful.
>
> The positonal information is only scanned for phrase and near queries,
> and to the minimal extent possible to determine if they match or not.
> So it's probably not worth trying to store this explicitly as you'll
> need to scan the rest of the relevant positional information to find out
> where all the matches are.  Any positional information already read
> should still be in the disk cache when you come to generate the dynamic
> sample.

This would be MOST useful where a query has been entered e.g. as part of a CGI
form, and could contain phrases, filters, etc., since currently one has to
basically duplicate the work of parse_query to figure out what terms to
highlight in results. Some way to get the information back as part of the
results would be great (in particular, for a phrase match, only some of the
relevant occurrences of a term should be highlighted, ...).

Anyway, a "me too" for some kind of feedback of the matched terms plus
positions :) was looking for something similar here.

--
http://www.lost.eu/175db