[Xapian-discuss] Postgres connection

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Feb 21 10:49:05 GMT 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 04:00:28PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 02:24:52PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > > Is there any way to connect postgres with Xapian?
> >
> > It certainly would be nice to see some sort of "connector" which
> > allowed the SQL database to "push" changes to Xapian.
>
> Presumably what most people want here is something that automatically
> prod a Xapian application to index/re-index/remove a document (where
> the data comes out of a number of rows in a number of tables, but is
> indexed in some fairly straightforward way).

Stating it at a slightly more abstract level, I think most people just
want to be able to specify which fields should be "indexed as free text"
and then have the Xapian index automatically kept in step when changes
are made to the SQL database.  So it's as easy to use as any built in
free text search facility is, but faster and better scaling.

It's possible to get more sophisticated of course, but the key part
that's needed for it to work is the mechanism for getting informed about
updates.

> However depending on the application, and how your architecture works,
> you may be better off putting it inside your ORM layer [2].

This is harder for us to offer "plug and play" type support for, though
it's easier to just write the code for yourself.