[Xapian-discuss] External Source Post List

Rusty Conover rconover at infogears.com
Wed Feb 21 18:49:08 GMT 2007

Hi Xapian Guys,

I've had this patch sitting against 0.9.6 for about a year it seems.
It's a patch that adds an ExternalSourcePostlist which can be used in
queries to limit the documents that are considered to match.

The main purpose I created it was so that I could search subsets of
the xapian database quickly. In my case I have a list of docid's in a
postgresql database with group and categories assigned to them.  If a
user wants to do a full text search of a group/category, I just put
the doc id's that are in that group/category into an
ExternalSourcePostlist and chain it off of the main query with a
OP_FILTER.  Needless to say, I found this functionality quite handy
with larger databases.

I have two patches attached, externalsourcepostlist.patch is against
xapian-core-0.9.9.

externalsourcepostlist-perl.patch is against Search-Xapian-0.9.9.1.

One controversial part of the perl patch is that it allows 3
arguments to get_mset, to allow the parameter for the number of
matches to check to get passed through.

These patches may not be 100% ready for inclusion in their current
state due to missing any semblance of documentation, but I'd like to
get some comments on how to improve them and get them ready to be
committed.

Thanks,

Rusty
--