[Xapian-discuss] indexing

richard at lemurconsulting.com richard at lemurconsulting.com
Thu Jan 11 13:26:54 GMT 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 05:02:36AM -0500, Jim wrote:
> > I am just about to start indexing a huge amount of data so I want to
> > make sure I get it right before starting.

I'd recommend doing a few trial runs with subsets of your data first, to
shake out any obvious problems.  Likely to save time in the long run.

> > 3. Lastly, is it possible to index on one machine, then copy the
> > database files to another machine and search them without any issues?
> On the same architecture, yes.  I don't know about moving from say,
> Power PC to Intel ia32 for instance.

Databases are intended to be portable across architectures.  However, there
is a bug with "Flint" format databases in the released versions of Xapian
which makes them architecture dependent.  However, this isn't the default
format database in these versions of Xapian, so most people won't have a
problem due to this.  We don't know of any problems with portability of
"Quartz" databases, and "Flint" databases in future releases will also be
portable (the bug is fixed in our subversion repository).

--
Richard