[Xapian-discuss] (Very)Wrong number in get_matches_estimated

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Mon Jan 22 22:30:11 GMT 2007

That's the nature of estimation for you.

The search is optimized not to find all matches every time - in most cases the user only wants a few results and isn't harmed by the guess being wrong - this is more true when there are billions of results.

One of the eqnuire options will let you set how many hits the search should check the actual existance of. Maybe you would set this to 100 beyond the set of hits you want to show, but in cases where there are only a few dozen hits you might make xapian work harder proving that there are no more.

Perhaps it's worth xapian or a caller holding some data on recent queries to avoid it repeatedly slowly and exhaustively proving that there are only 3 hits and not 100 (out of a database of 10 Million).

Sam