[Xapian-discuss] Practical example/explanation using an existing database

Edwin Smulders edwin.smulders at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 03:04:53 BST 2007

Hi,

I'm reading up on the usage of Xapian to find out if we can use it for
Wine's Application Database, and I'm having a bit of trouble seeing
the general picture. I could use some practical information (through
words or code) on how to search an existing (mysql) database.

As far as I can tell it can be used with a mysql db, and I read that
Xapian first makes an index (in it's own database/tables ?) and then
searches through that index. Now a few questions come to mind and I
couldn't find the answers in the documentation.

Firstly, how exactly does the indexing work in regard to telling
Xapian what to search through? Do we write an SQL query returning all
the data we want indexed? or maybe do we tell it what tables/columns
to index (ie. does it generate queries?)
And how is the index updated, a regular rescan or an update whenever
data in our system updates?

The other question that came to mind is, once everything is indexed,
how is the data returned on a search? This is best explained in an
example:
If a user would be entering a a search term and I (the programmer)
want to search the database, can i specifically tell Xapian to search
in for example the application names, or the descriptions, or both?

I hope somebody can clarify this for me, right now it all looks quite
difficult to implement.

Edwin Smulders