[Xapian-discuss] licensing requirements for using the SWIG bindings

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Jul 24 15:23:20 BST 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 03:05:25PM +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:

> My personal view is that a python wrapper around the Xapian python
> bindings must be licensed under terms compatible with the GPL, or a
> license which puts no additional restrictions in place (and, of course,
> the conditions of the GPL will apply to your python code).

I agree: my view has always been that any application that uses the
Xapian library 'directly' (no matter what language it's in) is covered
by the GPL. The only way of avoiding this is to put something like a
network-layer protocol between the GPL-licensed bit and the rest of
the system (eg: you could write a non-GPL program that invoked omega
using the xml template, and parsed the results to get what it needed).