[Xapian-discuss] Making Title Fields Have More Weight In Xapian Search

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Jul 26 10:26:45 BST 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 01:57:13PM -0400, Ryan Mahoney wrote:

> I'm going to check that out.  For weighting, is there a recommended
> range... or an upper limit?  I noticed in Benny's example, he went from
> weight 3 to 100.  Should he have been more or less dramatic in his
> applied weights?

100 is pretty dramatic, but you might want to achieve that (say you
have a field which normally contains nothing, but is very, very
important when it contains something). weight is a double, so anything
that will fit in that (which is quite a big range :-) is fine. If you
start using the upper end of that you'll probably run into interesting
effects when it tries to add them up; I don't actually know what the
system does under those circumstances (+INF? Olly/Richard?).

100 isn't huge, but should have a big effect.