[Xapian-discuss] Building RPM on RHEL4

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Fri Jun 1 09:38:29 BST 2007

Olly Betts wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 12:29:52AM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
>> It looks like newer RPM generates the .pyo.  Just touching it into
>> existence doesn't seem a good plan.  I'm taking a look.
>
> I wonder if we should always generate the .pyo in the bindings build
> system, like we do for the .pyc file.  Something like this patch
> maybe:
>
> http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/patches/xapian-pyo.patch
>
> Richard: What do you think?

I can't see any problem with this idea, but I've never been convinced
that .pyo files are actually of any use (with the current level of
optimisation, anyway).  However, if it will help RPM builds or anything,
go ahead.

The only risk I can see is that asserts aren't checked in .pyo files,
which could be confusing if we're trying to track down a user-reported
error.  However, we don't have many Python asserts anyway.

(Of course, .pyc and .pyo files shouldn't be included in debian
packages, since they'll be generated at install time.  I imagine RPM
does something similar.)

--
Richard